You may be wondering “why savoury porridge?”, “why fix something if it ain’t broke?” I’m just going to come out and say it… I’m not a big fan of sweet porridge or oatmeal! Phew I feel much better! Don’t get me wrong, I like the flavour but after a few bites the combination of the sweetness and the mushy texture gets too overwhelming,
This recipe started out as a complete fluke. A combination of wanting something quick to eat and the fact that I had loads of oats laying around. Who would have thought? It turned out pretty tasty.
I do a few different versions of savoury oats, today I’ll share my spicy tomato porridge. I like to finish it off with some toppings, same as you’d do for sweet. For this recipe I used cherry tomatoes, sliced bell pepper, nutritional yeast, rocket and sambal oelek. It is entirely up to you to use your favourite toppings.
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 Bell Pepper sliced
- 2 cups Tomato Juice
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce adjust for more/less spicy
- 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Choice of Toppings
- Sautée the bell pepper in 1 tbsp of water until soft.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes until the oats are cooked through and the porridge has thickened.
- Top with your favourite toppings and serve warm, Enjoy!
- You can use any type of oats for this recipe. My favourites are jumbo rolled oats as they retain a nice, chewy texture.
- If you don't have tomato juice, you can use fresh or tinned tomatoes. I prefer tomato juice because it has a rich red colour but doesn't have the characteristic tinned flavour that needs a longer cooking time to remove.
- Instead of poultry seasoning, any vegetable stock will do.